Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am British citizen and have got British Passport and my baby

I am British citizen and have got British Passport and my baby is going to be born in Nepal in a week's time. How to apply for baby's first British Passport.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I apply from UK or do I have to apply in Nepal ?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. At the outset, so long as you are A British citizen by descent (ie one of your parents was a British citizen when you were born), then your child can be registered as a British citizen by using Form MN1. Here is a link to Form MN1 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/515815/Form_MN1_04-16.pdf. The form also has accompanying notes on how to fill it in and you may register your child as a British citizen and obtain a passport for your child as well. Here is a link to the Notes as well https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-register-child-under-18-as-british-citizen-form-mn1. Be aware that you are applying under section 3 of the British Nationality Act, 1981. This is the governing legal provision. You can apply from Britain or from Nepal - the choice is yours. There is no requirement that you have to apply from the UK to get a British passport.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your Question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a British citizen by Naturalisation and got British Passport recently. Previously I had an Indian Passport. My baby is due to be born in Nepal in a week's time. How can I apply for baby's first British Passport , my wife has Nepalese passport and lives in Nepal .Please advise.