29905560

Can an employer terminate me yet replace me instantly with

Can an employer terminate me yet replace me instantly with someone else from within the organisation?
I am not under warning or any disciplinary action. I have not been made aware of any complaint or grievance against me. My performance in the role has been consistently of a very good standard.
For background the company is up for sale, but we had been under the impression it would be sold "as is". However, our Canadian parent company has slowly been shoehorning their own people into key positions over the last year or so, and it appears my position may be the next.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.
Hello how long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
4 years
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Thanks for your patience. The starting point is that if an employee has been continuously employed with their employer for at least 2 years they will be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that to fairly dismiss them their employer has to show that there was a potentially fair reason for dismissal and that a fair dismissal procedure was followed.According to the Employment Rights Act 1996 there are five separate reasons that an employer could use to show that a dismissal was fair: conduct, capability, redundancy, illegality or some other substantial reason (SOSR). The employer will not only need to show that the dismissal was for one of those reasons, but also justify that it was appropriate and reasonable to use in the circumstances. In addition, they need to ensure that a fair dismissal procedure was followed and this would depend on which of the above reasons they used to dismiss.In your case it does not look like misconduct, capability, illegality, capability or SOSR would apply so the only potential reason would be redundancy. This occurs when an employer requires fewer people to do a particular job. So if they try and rely on redundancy but then replace you straight after, this would strongly suggest there was no genuine redundancy after all and that the dismissal was likely unfair.This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options you have should the employer proceed with their plans, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Thank you. If there are any doubts or evidence that the requirements for a fair dismissal have not been satisfied, an appeal can be submitted to the employer straight after the termination is communicated. If the appeal is rejected a claim for unfair dismissal can be made in the employment tribunal. The time limit to claim is 3 months from the date of dismissal and the claimant needs to have at least 2 years' continuous service with that employer. A new feature in the employment tribunal’s claims process is mandatory early conciliation with ACAS. This requires prospective claimants to notify ACAS and provide details of their intended claim and they would then try to negotiate between the claimant and respondent to seek out of court settlement in order to avoid having to take the claim to the tribunal. It is possible for the parties to refuse to engage in these negotiations, or that they are unsuccessful, in which case they would get permission to proceed with making the claim in the tribunal. If negotiations are initiated and settlement is reached, then the claimant would agree not to proceed with the claim in return for the agreed financial settlement. The conciliation procedure and the form to fill in can be found here: https://ec.acas.org.uk/Submission/SingleClaimantPage In terms of the time limits within which a claim must be presented, the early conciliation process places a ‘stop’ on that and the time between notifying ACAS and them issuing permission to proceed with the claim would not count for the purposes of these time limits.