75100385

I have rented a flat 3 months ago, signing a one year contract.

Hi, I have rented a flat 3 months ago, signing a one year contract. But unexpectedly I had bad news from my family and I have to go back home to support them. so I have to end my tenancy contract. I gave my Landlord the two month notice, as written in the standard contract I have signed but he replied that I have to pay him the whole year. Is there something I can do? Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.For now please let me know whether there is a break clause in the tenancy?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently there's no break clause. It's a standard contract for a 1 year lease and there's a mention to the end of tenancy with a 2 months notice
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its bad news I am afraid, you are liable for the whole 12 month period.However if you leave and they readvertise and get a new tenant, you would only be responsible for the readvertising fees together with the vacant period.Therefore assuming the property is empty for 1 month and it costs £350 to readvertise. You would be liable for 1 months rent and that £350.But that is the only way sadly.I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This means that if I get my Landlord a new tenant, there won't be problems, correct?
I told my landlord I wanted to help him to replace me, but he still told me he wants one year rent.So my question is the following. If I refuse to pay him the whole year and just facilitate him a new tenant?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Correct. The Landlord must mitigate the loss and find a new tenant. The Landlord can't just sit back and say no, pay me and I am going to do nothing.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Thank you.
Just one more thing. I can go legal if the Landlord just say no.
I mean, I can prove my willingness to do anything to help the Landlord with the transactions. If he does not want to collaborate, I can ask a solicitor like you to take the case?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can leave even if the Landlord says no. You can ask a Solicitor to help, but sadly I cant be instructed as I am employed by the site.Can I clarify anything else for you?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, thank you. Was anything.
Thank you for the support.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Good luck. Alex