Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Can I employee new staff on a zero hours contract

Can I employee new staff on a zero hours contract for my building firm as a small firm I need to take on my casual staff in the most economic manor to stop it bankrupting my little firm my concerns are there are sporadic times when we don't work as is the nature of the job open to suggestions !! my concerns are holiday pay, paternity, sick pay and any other implications
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am an employment lawyer and I am happy to help you today. Yes you can take employees on on a zero hours basis. There is no law to prevent you from doing this. You are right that this has implications for holiday pay. Where hours are variable you would pay based upon average hours worked in the 12 weeks leading up to the request for holiday pay. They will not be entitled to company sick pay but may be eligible for SSP depend on the frequency that they work. This fact sheet will provide you with some useful information. http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/3814f6606d1346858139dea0aa43ad71 Please take the time to rate my answer, once you have done that I can answer any further specific queries you may have on this.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry please ignore the link i have just sent it is incorrect. Please look at this page for the information. http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4468
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks that's very helpful how would I go about drawing up such a contract and to clarify (I'm a lowly builder !!) when work is quite wejust go to the 0 hours part so they are not guaranteed work. In the building trade this is industry standard . no work no pay. !