F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Hey, I have an issue I need some help with to see if I have

Hey, I have an issue I need some help with to see if I have any legal rights.
On January of last year I got engaged to my 2 year girlfriend. Just to note, she is from Manchester and I and from Northern Ireland. We traveled back and forward to see each other. Our plan was always to clear out debt and buy a house in Northern Ireland close to my family.
Around June of last year she told me she had cervical cancer but it was treatable. Obviously we were devastated and our wedding/house plans were put on ice. The main thing was to get her the best treatment possible no matter the cost, and that's what we did. I would send her money when she needed treatments as she decided to go private in the hope to catch it early and helped pay her phone bills, credit card bills if she was short after paying for whatever medical costs she incurred. Over the course of 4 months her condition was getting worse and in September she had to get an ovarie removed and told me she was having radiation treatment. The relationship then was ended by her as she was told she couldn't have children and couldn't bear to be around my family with their little ones. It was a very worrying and traumatic time for myself and my family.
But here's the nasty bit!
I have recently found out that this has all been a lie fabricated by her to cover up the fact that she has been in a relationship with another man since June of last year and she never had cancer of any sort, certainly not to the extent that she was having radiation treatment and losing her hair. Over the course of last it seems she has defrauded me of close to £4000 with these lies.
My question is have I any legal right to have this case investigated or have I any case at all
Sorry for the long winded back story.
Iain
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
Do you have evidence everything that you are saying she has done and lied about?Have you referred it to the police yet?Do you know what happened to the money?You say that she never had cancer of any sort but then you seem to contradict it by saying not to the extent that she was having radiation treatment and losing her hair.Has she had any treatment at all? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The evidence I have is on her Facebook. She told me and my family she had deleted her account as she didn't want anyone posting comments about her condition, when in fact she had just blocked us all, leaving us unable to see her page. She then publicly announced on Facebook she was in a relationship with this other guy in June of last year, yet continued to travel over to see myself and my family. I found this out from a friend of a friend who has no connection to her and looked online. I also have emails and texts from her telling me she has cancer.
My sister recently got in touch with one of her friends who visited us here in Northern Ireland along with my ex. When we told her what we had been lead to believe, she informed us that my ex was telling a different story in Manchester.
I have emails of this conversation.No I haven't informed the police as yet. To be honest I'm still trying to wrap my head around this all and I am wondering if there is anything I can do at all.She told my dad, mum, and myself, all in the same room at the same time, that she was having radiation treatment. And again later she told 2 of my closest friends the same story. Its clear from pictures on Facebook that she is not having such treatment.
Basically everything she has told me from June of last year, is totally different from the pictures and comments on her Facebook page.
I don't know what happened to most of the money I sent. I paid her phone bill 3 times, direct to EE, once direct to her credit card supplier, but the majority was via Internet banking into her bank account. I have a print out of all payments made last year.
But again, from her Facebook page is looks like she has been on holidays a few times, nights out etc, certainly not for what I was told it was for.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
This is potentially fraud or obtaining money by deception. It is a police matter. The police will at least consider this if you make a complaint. It is not straightforward because you were in a relationship and she has only been in a new relationship since June last year and therefore, she was cheating on you and the police may simply say that you freely gave her this money as part of the relationship and now that has gone sour you have changed your mind and want the money back. If that is the case, you are not entitled to it.Just because she said she had cancer and does not, does not necessarily mean that there is a claim for fraud or obtaining money by deception unless she had, for example, asked for the money to pay for treatment, treatment which did not exist. Then, the offence becomes quite clear.Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, that clears it up a bit. I know it's a complicated situation, but a least I now know where I stand. If she cannot give me any proof of the treatment she supposedly received then it will be a police matter.
Thank you for your help on this.
Much appreciatedKind regardsIain
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
I was pleased to help. I think that is your best course of action.Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process so the experts get credit for their time.Best wishes.FES
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.