Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I've worked in a law firm past five years and earlier

Hi, I've worked in a law firm for the past five years and earlier this week I was asked to stop wearing polo shirts and wear smart shirts instead. I agreed I would do this from Monday onwards.
Now they have said I'm not allowed to wear a red hoody in the office which I have also worn for a long time. I'm not even allowed to wear it when I'm travelling to the office in the morning!
There are a number of other staff members whom where hoodies, trainers and even leggings!
Are they legally entitled to enforce this dress code of not even wearing a hoody when entering the office in the morning?
I feel I have been picked on as no one else has been spoken to.
I've also been threatened with a formal disaplinary warning if I don't abide to the rules.
Where do I stand on this?
Expert:  Jenny replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i am happy to help you today. Are you the steward in this scenario?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, sorry I'm not sure what you mean by that!
Expert:  Jenny replied 9 months ago.
I am sorry there has been a slight technical issue and that was posted incorrectly. Are you saying that other people are being allowed to continue wearing hoodies or polo shirts and you are being singled out for some reason?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes. I am the only man who wears a polo shirt but I am happy to start wearing tailored shirts as of Monday.
I have been told I am not allowed to wear my hoody into the office but other staff members are still able to do so
Expert:  Jenny replied 9 months ago.
Have you asked why this is the case? Are other men wearing hoodies or is it women who are allowed to dress more casually?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have asked but so far the partners haven't responded.
Men and women both wear hoodies.
I understand that they don't want me wearing them around the office but I can't understand why I'm not allowed to even walk into the office wearing it on my way to work
Expert:  Jenny replied 9 months ago.
You should be able to wear what you want outside of the office , the only exception to this would be if you are identifiable as an employee and the clothes have offensive slogan which could bring the employer into disprepute. You should not be singled out. They should not tell you not to wear the clothes and not others. If you are disciplined and others are not you should appeal as this is unfair. I would suggest you submit a grievance about wearing your own clothes on the journey to work and any difference in treatment you are subjected to. Is there anything further you would like to know? Please let me know if you have any further queries about this? If I have answered your question please take the time to rate my answer as I will not otherwise be paid for the time I have spent working on your question. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 9 months ago.
All the best.
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Jenny. That's pretty much the response I was after! I now know how I can deal with this in the office.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Jenny replied 9 months ago.
No problem all the best, ***** ***** back to me in the future if you need to.