Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I went to a motorcycle showroom yesterday to buy a brand new

I went to a motorcycle showroom yesterday to buy a brand new motorcycle. The dealer offered me a deal on a different bike and I accepted. I paid a deposit of £200 by debit card but did not sign anything. The dealer gave me an invoice saying the vehicle had been registered for the first time in my name and taxed. This cost £93 and left balance due of £4000.
I now regret buying this model but the dealer says I am bound by the contract even though I didn't sign anything. Is he correct or can I walk away from the deal, losing the £200 which I accept as the price of a poor choice?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Did you pay the deposit in the showroom?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I did
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Technically you are in breach of contract by failing to purchase the motorcycle. However this is a common breach of contract and it is unlikely that the dealer will pursue you for damages which would only occur in the event they are unable to sell the motorcycle so they are just trying it on. You are not going to be able to get a refund of your deposit though. Is there anything further I can clarify for you? If you have any further questions please ask. Otherwise please do take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise paid for the time I have spent working on your question. Thank you and all the best.