Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I worked self employed as a sessional therapist

Customer Question

hi I worked self employed as a sessional therapist for the police. I wrote a psycho educational programme for them. I came up with the name and content and ran it - it's been a great success and I want to own the name and copy write - can i do this - otherwise I think they are going to claim ownership
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Do you have a written contract with the police for the work you do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was self employed when I wrote and first delivered the programme so I didnt have a contract. I then took a year contract from November 2015 and this is due to expire Oct 2016
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny...?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks the legal position is that if you are working under a contract for services (i.e. as a self employed contractor) you own the copyright in any material you produce under that contract unless the contract specifically states otherwise. If you produced the work during the time you were not covered by a written contract then that will be the case. You can write to the employer setting out your position. You have not said whether you object to the police using the material, if you did then they may be able to argue that they have a licence to use it as they commissioned the work from you.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything further I can clarify for you? If you have any follow on questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny,
Thanks - yes I'm all done - that was most helpful.
Jules
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ah great, thanks so much for the update and all the very best for the future!