12826847

I have another question. I'm currently on pre charge bail.

I have another question. I'm currently on pre charge bail. I've been reading up on it and i understand that the police have 28 days in total to either charge me or let me go. I was originally arrested for abh and they said they would simply check cctv. I feel fine about that. However i've found myself counting the days and wondering. I was arrested on April 3rd at just after midnight - it had just turned april 3rd. I did walk into the police station at about 11.30pm on April 2nd as i had a voicemessage from the police telling me to come in. However i was given pre charge bail on 3rd april mid afternoon. I came back two weeks later and they gave me a further 2 weeks pre charge bail. I looked at the date and i have to turn up in the night of 2nd May. I dont know if i'm going mad but i count 29 days. When i read articles about pre charge bail it days only 28 days are allowed. Are these 28 days strict? Where do i stand with this?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They don't have 28 days. This is an either way offence. The reason Home Office report proposed a maximum bail period of 28 days but it hasn't happened yet.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Also, it is a dangerous proposal because all they will do is bring holding charges to get around it. That is what they used to do before PACE.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
This is an either way offence so they have as long as they like although it will probably turn into a common assault for which they would have to lay an information before the court within 6 months.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo