Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Do we need a lawyer to effect a deed of variation?

Customer Question

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for your enquiry.Are you referring to a Deed of Variation in respect of a Will or a Lease or something else?Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish to effect by a deed of variation to my late wife,s will, to enable her share of a property which was jointly owned my her and me ; to pass ownership of her share to my two adult children. It provides income from its division into 3 flats. (When I have probate, I will then also reduce my estate by giving them my share too. )
Hi,Thanks for your reply.Well, unless you are familiar with how to draft a Deed of Variation, it would be normal for a Solicitor to deal with it- he is likely to charge £300 plus VAT which may be money well spent.Also, if the property was held by you both as Joint Tenants (meaning that upon your Wife's death, her share would have automatically transferred to you and hence her share can not currently form part of any Deed of Variation), your Solicitor will have to effect a post death severance of the joint tenancy, to enable you to be able to gift your late Wife's 50% to your children.Please let me know if you require any further clarification.Kind RegardsAl
Hi Clive,Can I be of any more assistance to you?Kind RegardsAl