Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My partner of ten years standing used to have a Brazilian

Customer Question

Hi, my partner of ten years standing used to have a Brazilian wife. They were married in the UK the Brasil. They divorced eight years ago in /brasil - but we find he has only separated in the UK. He did some kind of separateion form online. We want to know if he is therefore not divorced and still legally married in UK law or whether the Brazilian divorce covers being divorced here also. Additionally we find his x wife name is ***** ***** a joint name on his flat. therefore what does this mean? what are the ramifications of this and how can he remove her name? He is also a co mortgagee of my home and I am also worried that these untied knots with his x wife could affect me and my property also. Please advise. for ten years he has lived at his flat but stayed here four nights per week and the other three at his flat.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. If the divorce was granted in Brazil, then it will be recognised in the UK - so if he has the final divorce order from Brazil he will be divorced.In relation to the jointly owned flat, she is legally entitled to her share of the property even after divorce. He can remove her name by agreeing to buy her share and transferring it to his sole name - without her agreement he will need to proceed to court to do this.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.