Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

There. I left my job and they continued paying me

Hi there. I left my job and they continued paying me for two months. I have had a letter demanding repayment of the whole lot. Do I have to pay? If so, can I pay by instalments? Many thanks.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hell my name is ***** ***** I am happy to hep you today. Were you aware that this was an overpayment and have you spent the money?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I was not aware and yes I have spent the money!
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
hi Colin the basic position is that overpaments are repayable. However the employer should be reasonable in the way in which they as you to repay so should agree a repayment plan. You can, if you wish try to argue that this is not repayable on the basis that you were not aware that you were overpaid and have spent the money in good faith. If they take you to court of this you would have to prove that you did not know you were entitled to the money and have spent it. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would be so kind as to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.