12826847

My neighbour claims I've scratched their car.On Monday night

my neighbour claims I've scratched their car.On Monday night 5 people came to my door at around midnight making threats and at one point there was a van behind me with a driver and the others in front of me.I was given hand written invoices with no vat registration and the quotes were overly inflated compared to quotes I'd received.Having arranged to make payment my neighbour didn't turn up at arranged time.My neighbour later went to my home and threatened my 79 yr old mother who suffers from dementia.Having paid he then gave me a second bill for another car.The only evidence of me supposidley causing damage is cctv footage but they refuse to give a copy of the recording.Do I have any case against them.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What financial loss has this caused you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
|£510.00
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
For what ? I will probably respond in the morning now but I will come back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
respray,but gars have been sratched for months
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
okay. But surely you haven't paid that yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes they kept knocking on door and one occasion when I was out my mother was threatened
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'm afraid that you do not have a claim. You may have a defence of their claim but you do not have a claim yourself against them for damages. You have just plain suffered no loss and anyway there is no unlawful act in them asking you to settle a claim that they have. Their claim may be wrong and it may fail and your remedy is to refuse to pay and invite them to sue. You do not have a claim against them the compensation because they have asked you to settle a claim. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I can got to their home and threaten them in the middle of the night?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It would not give rise to a claim in compensation.The right thing to do would have been to call the police. That did not happen. You cannot claim compensation because they have asked you to pay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
OK. All the best.