75100385

My accountant carried out some work without asking

My accountant carried out some work without asking me first and is now asking me for £980 for the work do i have to pay it? please advise
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.On what basis did he do the work please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is my accountant and the work needed to be completed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was the basis i believe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the letter he sent me
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
But why did he do the work? Did you instruct him to do ANY work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was doing my accounts for the date he became my accountant and decided to do work that was for the dates when he wasnt my accountant which i did not ask him to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the original contract i had with him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So to clarify I instructed him to do my accounts and he noticed that some accounts from a previous year needed to be filed. So with out telling me in advance he went ahead and filed them and then charged me for it.I am not against paying but I feel he should have discussed it with me first as per his contact. I am happy to pay a reduced rate as he has done the work but not the full fee as i feel he is taking advantage of me
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I would agree. In that case you can refuse to pay. If you do at worst they can issue a claim in the County Court.Given the value it would be a small claim and as such fees are limited.But on the basis he carried out work as NOT instructed then you do not have to pay.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Alex much appreciated, please advise how best to respond to his Notice Before CC Summons. Shall I do it in writing and do I have to ensure that I mention certain things please ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes make sure it is writing and say that the Accountant was not contracted to carry out the work he did and therefore it was not agreed or authorised so you wont pay.Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes that doesThank youKind regardsSusanne
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please Susanne, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex