75100385

I recently moved into a rented flat. The agent had only just started managing the property

Customer Question

I recently moved into a rented flat. The agent had only just started managing the property. We met the landlord the day I moved in and he gave me a long list of things to do (dry washing outside, use dehumidifier) as the property has a history of black mould which he considers normal for all ex-councils flats. I'm paying 1450 GBP per month. Can I terminate the agreement? I think the landlord should have disclosed this to the agent and myself. Had I known I doubt I would have rented and would definitely have negotiated for a lower rent. I don't know if there is active black mould, there are signs of staining at the back of kitchen cupboards near the sink but the property was occupied when I viewed and had been recently painted.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Were these rules given to you before you signed the agreement or when you moved in?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither the agent or myself were aware that the property had a history of black mould until the day I moved in. I met the landlord the day I moved in and that is when I found out. The agent was present.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
ok. Then this is potentially breach of contract based on false representation. Then yes this is breach of contract as the landlord failed to disclose material facts to you. The landlord did not and yes this is breach of contract.You can claim this is a fundamental breach of contract based on these information, then you can break the contract.But you need to do this sooner rather than later, because the longer you leave a breach the harder it is to claim its fundamental.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanx - that is all I need to know.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
good luck. Alex