How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3653
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I Had a damp proofing company work on my rental property

Resolved Question:

I Had a damp proofing company work on my rental property and the work was poor in places. When the sent me the final bill it was more than I expected so I complained to the owner, we had an unpleasant phone conversation about this but in the end I agreed to pay the invoice in full and did so the next day. He agreed to supply a final receipt and a guarantee for the damp roofing. This was over six weeks ago and although I have emailed a reminder that these items are still outstanding I still don't have them. I haven't asked them to come back and fix the problems, I just want the final paperwork.
***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Did you pay for the money by bank transfer? Does he still need to come back and rectify work? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, Yes I paid by bank transfer. He's not coming back.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you, ***** ***** the following options:(i) You can complain to Trading Standards or his professional affiliation or regulator (if he is part of a guild for example);(ii) You can sue him in the county court for compensation for breach of contract on the basis that he has not 1. Provided a written guarantee 2. Provided the service with reasonable care and skill in accordance with the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. I would start by writing to this individual as follows:- You have paid his invoice in full and he has no grounds to with hold the documentation you have requested;- Say you now believe he is in breach of his contractual obligations to provide a guarantee and if he does not provide the documentation as requested, you reserve the right to:1. Commence a claim in the county court to recover your losses arising from his breach of obligations;2. Make a complaint to Trading Standards.I would make sure this is a written correspondence so he cannot claim he has not received it and you can use it as evidence in court if you had a to make a claim.I suspect at least sending him a letter will provoke a response.Is the guarantee actually worth anything? Would he honour it if called upon? Does he have insurance?Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I don't really need a phone call, all I wanted to say was that your answer was just what I wanted and I don't really need any more at the moment. I am happy to pay for the advice you have given but I don't want to sign up for a monthly fee. How do I do this
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. I will report this to customer service and highlight that you have raised this query. In the mean I would be most grateful if you would rate my answer? Kind regards AJ
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Law Questions