13262538

I am not sure if you are able to answer this!. My mum passed

Customer Question

I am not sure if you are able to answer this!. My mum passed away last July. Although she lived close to me - one of my brothers took control of her money (although he lives 200 miles away). If I ever asked about her money - or indeed - if she should make a will - I was told it was none of my concern. I received a form from him issued by HSBC (my mum's bank) - asking me to sign it off - so her money can be released into his account. I have no idea how much money we are talking about - and where it will go once he has it! I am not that worried about getting it (my kids can have anything that's there) - but I feel very uncomfortable about signing for something I have no access to. I know mum had around £18,000 - and even given the cost of her funeral - I assume a sum would have been left (hence the reason they are trying to get hold of my signature! Any advice. Take care - Ron
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information first.Have you been given any details of the Estate whatsoever?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. No - nothing at all.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Are there just the two of you to inherit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Three of us.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Will your other sibling support you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think so. I have the impression the two of them are sorting this out between them! I think the main thing I need to know - is since mum passed away - what has happened to her money. Can I get access to her bank statements? If the money has gone to funeral costs - I understand that. But I am not sure that is the case. The fact I am being asked to sign for the release of money- when I am being denied access to anything that I am saying I am happy to be released does not seem right?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Have you spoken to the bank at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - I thought I should check the legal side of things first! The bot***** *****ne is that the money cannot released until I sign the form. Will the bank be able to tell me about the state of my mum's finances. I can't seem to get that information from anyone.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You and your siblings have equal right to this information - which is why you all need to sign the forms.Of course this will only tell you what was left in the account at the time of her deathYou can either write to your brother and say that unless you have the details of the the finances you wilt sign the form; or you can approach the bank yourself.Your brother will have to divide the monies equally between the three of you - and he is personally liable to you for your shareI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One final question. Do the bank have to show my bank statements if I ask for them?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You have as much entitlement to the information as your brothers - so yes they should give you the latest bank statement if you request it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I think that's probably it! Thanks again.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You ar most welcome I hope all goes well