75100385

I am in the process of buying an inflatable leisure dinghy.

I am in the process of buying an inflatable leisure dinghy. As a keen angler my question is, providing I have legal access for launch and fishing rights are not claimed by anyone, will it be OK for me to paddle up and down the river/canal fishing as I go?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If you are wishing to fish in public canal you a) need the permission of the council (or authority that maintains) - so check if they have a no fishing policy b) to fish anywhere in the UK you need a licence, without a licence you could be subject to a fine - https://www.gov.uk/fishing-licences.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am fully aware of seeking permission and rod licence requirements. My question was specific to fishing from a legally launched boat in rivers/canals which don't have declared fishing rights holders, eg, "Fishing Rights Held by the XXXX Angling Club" or such.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Its nothing to do with a rod licence.Someone owns the river bed. As such if you are on the river then you need to get permission from whoever owns the river bed in that section.Whilst the water flows over the bed you still need permission from the river bed owner for that section.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience