Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I had a builder doing work in my house, we agreed a verbal

Hi, I had a builder doing work in my house, we agreed a verbal quote of £2500 for it. After finish the job (it took very long time) he is asking us for further £4000 in concept of labour? we did pay him £3000 through bank transfer as he did a cupboard under stairs and that was extra. We never sign any contract or agreement with him, it was all verbal. Now he is saying he will take us to court. My question is:
1- Does he has a case?
2- Do we need to pay that £4000 extra only because he said so, without any sign agreement?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Does he say that the additional £4000 is for the extra work done under the stairs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, he just said is labour, but he quoted us for £3000 in total with the cupboard under stairs and now he said is £7000!, so I had pay him £3000 as we verbally agreed but he still want another £4000!
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok when he said he would do the additional work under the stairs did you discuss the price for it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, we discussed it but it was all verbal agreement, and we agreed for final job £3000 and I already pay him that through bank transfer
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi if £3000 was verbally agreed and you have paid it then contractually you do not have to pay anything further. As he is the builder he would be expected to give you written quotes for additional work. If he threatens court action then you should stick to your guns. You will have to give verbal evidence as to what was agreed and the court is likely to find in your favour as they would really expect a builder to provide written evidence. Is there anything further you would like to know? If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He told my husband that he never agreed for a final price, he said he was charging per day, what is not true, and because he took so long to do the work now he said is £4000 extra on labour!
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Well as I have said you need to be firm and say that this has never been agreed and you have paid the agreed price.He will have to prove otherwise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, thank you very much for your help. Regards,
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I would be very grateful if you would rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise paid for answering your question. Thank you and all the best.