Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I'm Kevin Rayner. I am a former HGV haulier driver and

Hi, I'm Kevin Rayner. I am a former HGV haulier driver and I got ban from drink driving on 31 august 2015 as I was breatherlyze at reading of 44. I was given a 12 month ban, It's my first offence . I done my drink driving rehabilitation and brought my ban down to 9 month from 12 month. However my previous employer will not employ me and I was the most reliable driver for 1 year and 4 month without any holidays. I wonder if I will ever be an hgv driver again. I do love the job.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am an employment lawyer and I am happy to help you today. What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was a former haulier driver tramping all over Great Britain.. I got ban for drink driving on 31 august 2015 and was given a 12 month ban. But I done my drink driving rehabilitation and has shorten my ban to 9 month. However my previous employer will not employ me due to insurance purpose.
I wonder if I will be able to drive lorries again and gain employment?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
As far as driving a HGV is concerned if your ban expires after 9 months then you should be able to drive after the expiration. The question of whether an employer will take you on is difficult to answer. Many employers would not want to take the risk. It will be a case of applying for jobs and seeing if anyone will agree to employ you. To be honest I do not think it will be easy to find employment with the history you have unfortunately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My previous employer has taken on convicted drink drivers and I trying to find the right agency whom will take me on with a history I have...
Gaining employment is extremely difficult to find even with my hearing impaired.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
They cannot refuse you as a result of your hearing impairment without first considering reasonable adjustments as that would amount to disability discrimination. If you think that that is the real reason your employer does not want you back if they have taken back others then you can bring a claim.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Kevin is there anything further you would like to know about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I'm not sure what else to say at the moment, I am at my low point and I'm trying to be positive and hope to get into the HGV job again once my ban has been lifted on 16th June 2016 but the Traffic Commissioner has impose an additional 3 weeks before I can gain my HGV C E licence back.
After complete my rehabilitation it is suppose to help me back into HGV employment.
I'm curious about the claim against my previous employer.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
well if they have always had people back after previous convictions but will not take you back on then it may not be unreasonable to assume the real reason for refusal is your hearing impairment. If your hearing impairment amounts to a disability then you can claim disability discrimination against the employer. if you think this could be the reason then you should start Early claim conciliation with ACAS at www.acas.org and you can then lodge a claim in the employment tribunal if that is not successful. If you can show that the reason they have refused disability then you will be entitled to compensation. I would be grateful if you would rate my answer as i am not otherwise paid for my time. I will be happy to answer your follow on questions.
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only