75100385

I bought a secondhand car from a dealer. It cost £3000 and

I bought a secondhand car from a dealer. It cost £3000 and the car has 200000 miles. I have since discovered an oil leak and having taken it to a mechanic (2) the repair is estimated at £2000. I am within my 30 days of purchase can I get a refund ? The added complication I bought the car in England but live in northern Ireland. So will have to return to England again
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Did you inspect the vehicle before you purchased it?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did have a look around the car and test drive it. The leak was only apparent when I had the car home and there was oil on my driveway. You would have had to lift off Ann engine cover and know to look at a hard to see section and know what you're looking for.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
When did you buy it? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 th April 2016
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 good must be:of satisfactory qualityfit for purpose, andas described Satisfactory quality means that the vehicle should be of a standard a reasonable person would expect, taking into account factors such as:agevaluehistorymileagemakedurabilitysafety, anddescriptionAn old car with high mileage would not be expected to be as good as a younger car with low mileage but each should still be roadworthy, reliable, and in a condition consistent with its age/price. The dealer is not liable for fair wear and tear, where the vehicle broke down or the fault emerged through normal use, nor are they liable if they drew your attention to the full extent of any fault or defect before you bought the car.Therefore you should consider the above. Given the mileage of the car I think it would be very difficult to get a refund.I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be hones.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surely it was not as discribed? I also bought the car with a credit card is there any comeback there ?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Potentially you have a claim under S.75 of the Consumer Credit Act. You can try to claim and issue a claim claim if necessary.I am saying given the 200,000 miles it has done given the above criteria that my view it wont be straight forward.Does that clarify?Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If the dealer knew about the leak then I agree, it wouldnt be as described. But you dont suggest that.Does this clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has never said he didn't know about it
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Then I don't think you can assume he does. What would you expect him to say, here is a car I don't think it has an oil leak.You can try for a refund but I think it will be hard.Does that clarify?Alex