75100385

Would it be libellous to accuse someone

Customer Question

Would it be libellous to accuse someone of 'bullying and threatening behaviour' in an e-mail sent to eight named individuals? The alleged behaviour amounts to nothing more than an exchange of e-mails in which accused and accuser voiced a clear difference of opinion on a matter of parish council priorities.
Tony ***********
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tony my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Would the person who this is named about have suffered 'serious harm' as a result?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
'Serious harm' - yes, I reckon so, to my reputation and standing in the community (as a parish councillor).
My phone number is ***** 462161.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Then potentially there is a claim under the defamation act but you need to show serious harm.Even then proceedings can only be issued in the high court and are very specialist. You will need representation for any hearing and the cost of a contested trial would be up to around £20,000If a claim is brought and lost then not only would you be liable for your own costs but those of the other side.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
When would be good to call to chat about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** very good, clear and quick answer.
TS
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Happy to help. Alex.