Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My wife and I moved out of our main residence in July 2014

Customer Question

My wife and I moved out of our main residence in July 2014 to relocate to a new area for employment purposes. We rented a property to live in and rented our property out. In Jan 2015 we moved out of the rental property and into the property my wife had previously inherited in 2008 pending us purchasing a new main residence. We sold our old main residence in April 2015 and now seeking to purchase a new main residence but keep the inherited property. Are we subject to the higher SDLT. I have looked on government website and I seem to fall in to example 24 they give.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for your enquiry.As you are purchasing the property as your main residence, you will not be subject to the higher rate SDLT.Only if you were keeping the inherited property to use as your main residence, would you be liable for the higher rate on your new purchase.I hope this clarifies the position to you.Kind RegardsAl
Hi,Can I be of any more assistance to you?Kind RegardsAl