12826847

My son is autistic and was called in interview

Customer Question

my son is autistic and was called in for an interview for benefit fraud because his savings went over 16.000, he is in reciept of ESA and both he and i were unaware, he has no concept of money matters and doesnt understand the implications of what is going on. As a result he has to pay back large sums of money because he lives on his own and has to pay back his ESA and housing benefite, could you tell me where he stands with this please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my son was unable to answer questions because he just answers yes to everything, and they asked me in as his mother under caution because it was apparent that he didnt understand what they wanted, we have now recieved a letter saying he has to pay back over 5000 in ESA, but he was not aware of the amount of money he had, and doenst understand the value of money etc, he just knows he has money to spend and thats it
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i wanted to know if my son has grounds for appeal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello, is anyone there
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
On what basis?Did he have more than £16k?Did he declare it?