Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My husband is divorcing me and now owns the matrimonial home

Customer Question

My husband is divorcing me and now owns the matrimonial home outright. I said I would leave and not sleep there but he has now changed the locks - do I still have a right to be in the house
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionYour husband has no right to change the locks.Therefore, unless he provides you with a set of new keys, you would be entitled to break into the property to gain entrance.I trust his clarifies the legal position to you.Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did own the property jointly but he has bought me out nd I hope to have bought a new house in about 6 weeks time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this mean I can enter and stay in the house until I am divorced? Do I have to get permission to be there or can I come and go as I please. Could I move back in until my own house purchase is complete?
Hi,Yes, you are perfectly entitled to remain in the house until the divorce is finalised, as you have been during your marriage. Your husband can't restrict your access in any shape or form and you are free to come and go as you please, and continue to do so until your purchase is completed.Good luck.Best WishesAl