75100385

My son is a student in London and entered into a 7 month assured

Customer Question

My son is a student in London and entered into a 7 month assured short hold tenancy agreement. As he knew he would not be staying any longer than that he did not give notice to the landlady that he would be moving out at the end of the agreement.
He also did not say he was staying and she did not ask him to confirm he would be extending.
He paid his rent according to contract every month during the period of his tenancy and moved out according to the contract and gave notice a few days before he would be doing so.
The landlady has now asked my son to pay for two month’s rent because she claims he should have given her notice he was not intending to renew.
The clause in the contract reads as follows:
“The Term: 7 Month Contract: 1 September 2015 to 31 March 2016(‘The fixed period”)
This Tenancy will end on the date set out above however if both parties agree, another short hold contract maybe entered into which will be subject to the terms and conditions set out in this agreement unless the Landlord serves notice on the Tenant a Notice under section 21 of the Housing Act 1988, or a new form of Agreement is entered into, or this Agreement is ended by consent or court order.
If the Tenant wishes to stay on in the Property or if he wishes to Leave he must give 2 full month’s notice to the Landlord by Text & email & confirm via speaking to the Lanlord that she has received this.
This contract finishes on the 31 March 2016 & should another contract be signed it would end on 30 September 2016.
So you must pay your rent up till the 31 March 2016 as outlined in this contract”
My son really cannot afford to pay her two extra months and we believe he is not in breach as he stayed for the full term of the Tenancy.
Please could you give me your opinion as to whether the Lanlord is right or not, with her request?
Manuel Kirk
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello Manuel my name is ***** ***** I will help you.For now please let me know how much is being claimed?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

£1000

I can't talk now as I am at work but we could later in the day my number is *****

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Calling now. Alex