Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

If a relative of an adult we care into the home and

If a relative of an adult we care for comes into the home and raises her voice and shakes her finger in the face of an employee in what the employee deems to be an aggressive manner, what can we legally do to stop it happening again?
1)can we temporarily ban the relative and if so what do we need to put in place,
2)as the adult we care for would be able to have contact by telephone or meet the relative at the door to the building would we need a deprivation of liberty order?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
You can write to the adult and ban them for abusing the member of staff for a reasonable period. A letter will suffice. If you do not know the address of the relative you can hand them the letter next time they show up.Any person visiting the care home is there at the invitation of the owner of the premises and if the owner does not want them there then there is no right of entry or to remain. That person becomes a trespasser and if they try to enter an injunction can be sought.If they are causing a disturbance the police can be called. it is the same basis upon which a customer can be barred from a pub, the care home is private property and no one has the right to enter if the owner does not wish them to be there.I hope this helps.If there are any further points please respond and I will be happy to replyBest wishesMichael