How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10528
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Madam I have lived&worked in the UK since 20th May

Resolved Question:

Dear Sir/Madam
I have lived&worked in the UK since 20th May 2007 /permanently, leaving the UK just for 6 days last year/.
I am Bulgarian and I have had a residence card since 2nd March 2016
Am I eligible to apply successfully for naturalisation or I must wait 12 months/
Yours faithfully
Emanuil Angelov
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Emanuil, once you have been living in the UK for five years as an EU (Bulgarian) citizen, you are deemed to have obtained permanent residence which is a necessary pre-requisite for making an application for British citizenship. This means that you are able to live in the UK visa free. However, it is only one year after obtaining permanent residence that you are able to make an application for UK citizenship.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. As you have been living for more than six years in total, you are able to apply for UK citizenship, even though you have only had a residence card for just over a month. However, you will have to be able to show you have come to the UK in 2007 and not exceeded the number of absences allowed.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Basically, you must show:You must have been in the UK for 6 or more years;During your time in the UK, you must have been exercising Treaty Rights e.g. working, self-employed, or a student,for example;You must meet the residence requirements which include an assessment of your absences from the UK and where you intend to live after making the application;You will need to pass the Life in the UK Test;You also need to pass an approved English Language Test – or have an approved degree from /be a national of a majority English speaking country;You must meet the “Good Character” guidance, for example no recent or serious criminal convictions, you must not be bankrupt, or associated with those considered to have “bad character”
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will not receive payment for answering your Question.
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you