75100385

I sold goods for £4,369.87 to an American who paid

I sold goods for £4,369.87 to an American who paid for them on 17th January 2006. He asked me to add other purchases to these, and crate them up (which I did) ready for shipping to the US. I then wrote, emailed and phoned him many times for further instructions but never received any reply. The suppliers of the extra goods also tried to contact him many times without reply. Several other mutual acquaintances have tried over the years to contact him without success. The crate was large, I tired of storing it. I opened it about 18 months ago and sold the largest contents, but kept the smaller valuable contents. 2 weeks ago in the US I drove to his house and discovered he is still alive. I explained the situation regarding his crate, I offered to send his remaining goods, send an account and refund any monies I still have for him. He was militant. He claims he wrote me a single letter which was returned, but made no other attempt to contact me in over 10 years. Am I liable for anything in law, and what should I do next? I would love to resolve this. He should have his remaining goods and money.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Are you in the UK please, or US?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in the UK and the client met me here and made the transaction here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
ok. Then no, you are not liable for anything in law. He didnt contact you for 10 years! In any event if he wanted to bring a claim it would have to be within 6 years as per the Limitation Act 1980. So even if there was a claim he is out of time.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. In spite of his in-action I would still like to send his goods, an account, and any remaining money to him. If I try and send the goods + an account + any outstanding money will this provide him with ammunition/evidence to make a claim? I did not tell you that when I sold the large size goods I made a profit and paid a colleague who had retained a bounced cheque from the same client. I gave my colleague the face value of his 9 year old bounced cheque, which of course was signed by the same client. What do you think?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
No this makes no difference to the claim. Again even if you sold the goods time has passed. It's too late.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Alex, this puts my mind at ease. Does the Limitation Act cover goods which were not purchased from me but which I subsequently sold ? The client had bought these goods from other sources and simply had them delivered to me to be put into the crate?
Jonathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. You have provided me with all the information I need. £47 well spent.
Jonathan
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex