Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have been working at a Hotel 3 months now and

Hi, I have been working at a Hotel for about 3 months now and generally speaking, it has been enjoyable. However, a couple of days ago my Operations Manager made a hurtful remark saying that I have 'Short Leg Syndrome' in front of several other members of staff which I found humiliating and has made me very self conscious since. Do I have grounds to take civil proceedings against her?
Any advice greatly appreciated
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. You can sue this Operations manager for harassment under the Equality Act, 2010, which makes harassment of this nature a civil wrong in the workplace. Additionally, you should also make a complaint to your employer as your employer has a potential liability for discrimination if you can show the Operations Manager discriminated against you on the basis of your disability, which is a shorter leg. Your employer must show they took "reasonable measures" to ensure you weren't discriminated against by the Operations Manager on this basis. However, you must first make a workplace complaint before you issue civil proceedings.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your advice! Although I have a pair of legs reasonably similar in size and don't have a disability as such, this is sound advice