Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have had an issue where a mortgage broker mishandled my personal

Customer Question

I have had an issue where a mortgage broker mishandled my personal information. I raised a formal complaint and the company has responded in writing acknolowedging the breach and offering me compensation of £270 which include a 2 year membership to an organisation called CIFAS which would help if my info were to be used fraudulently. My concern is that by accepting this I agh a document waiving any further action in this matter with this company. I am not sure I should sign this or accept this level of compensation. I have friends who have found themselves in identity fraud and it has cost them significant amounts of time and money.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Hazel, can you please give details of the mishandling of your personal information. It is difficult to assess the level of compensation without knowing what was the extent of the mishandling of the information. Was your information sold to this parties, for example?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sold. The broker from mandalay financial I was dealing with through recommendation from a colleague asked me to complete detailed form in respect to personal details, date of birth address where I banked etc levels of income savings history etc I order to search for a mortgage. He then forward this document o third party unauthorised by me, but with me in copy, who was on a gmail account, advising me this person was setting up in brokerage business in my area and as madly was busy this person would assist. Sending this level of my personal detail to a gmail account of an unknown third party was the breach.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Dear Hazel, this is not a serious breach of personal information. You can obtain an undertaking from the third party that they will not use your personal information, in which case you will be protected. In such circumstances £270 is about the level of compensation. You can ask for more and ask for a personal undertaking from the third party, but the law would not grant you more compensation in court, I regret to say
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. There have been several cases where these issues have reached court. But the compensation was not high and certainly where there had been no abuse of the information provided. Here, there is no element of the third party abusing your information. So the compensation is not very high.