Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

An early redemption charge was payable to my old property.

Customer Question

An early redemption charge was payable to my old property. I have since been divorced and moved. My ex-husband has taken out another mortgage. The redemption has been paid back who is entitled to the refund both of us or just him.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****, when was the early redemption charge paid? What was the date of it? Were you married at this time? Did you contribute to its payment? Who owned the property at that point in time, when the redemption charge was paid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Early redemption paid in Feb. We were not married at the time but I was still living in the marital home. The contribution from me was taken from the house sale. The house was in the process of being sold.
Completion was Feb 2nd.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Dear *****, you are both entitled to share in the early redemption fee repayment. This means that you will get a half share if you owned half the house, or a similar proportion depending on your ownership share in the house. For example, if you owned 60% of the house, then you will get 60% of the redemption fee. Your former husband cannot keep it all for himself, because in law, it is also your money. So, you should make this clear to him.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert receives no payment for answering your Question.