Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

I am being accused of copyright infringement. I have written

I am being accused of copyright infringement. I have written to them explaining that I do not know how to download but they are saying that because the IP address is in my name I am liable. They want me to pay £600 or go to court. I am very distressed by this and not sure what to do now. Any advice
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
Firstly do not panic.The context is that there are firms that do nothing more than look for copyright infringement of image that they own or manage for the owner. They usually ask for a large sum but often settle for a small one.That being the case you need to ask them, if you have not already, what the image was and when it was used. Try to remember whether you did anything at that time or perhaps your computer was used to create something with a picture on it. If after that process you cannot tract that you have used an image continue to deny it.If you can recall using an image you then need to do a little detective work or get a friend to contact them and ask the cost of buying/ using an image.The cost is likely to be a fraction of what they are trying to charge you and they cannot charge you more than it would have cost you to buy it ( usually around £50-100) and so you send them that amount in settlement.I hope this helps. If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond further.Best wishesMichael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi MichaelI wrote to them explaining that I did not down load this as I don't know how. When they wrote back to tell me that I was liable they also put in the letter that I could make an offer of settlement out of court. Apparently it was in 2013 at a time when I would have been at work. I offered £100 as per the Citizens Advice web site but they wrote back saying they wanted £600 together with a 'Offer to settle' (Section 1 - Part 36).If I send them a cheque for say - £50 or £100 will that be the end of it??Many thanks
Shirley
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shirley
Dear *****I think it will be.They are the claimant in the case and they have to show you used it and that to use it would have cost you £600.00 to use it legitimately, which I very much doubt.So , yes, send them a cheque for £100.00 but state that it is in full and final settlement of all their claims in relation to alleged breach of copyright.Best regardsMichael