12826847

I lent a so called mate £2000 last year what are my chances

Customer Question

I lent a so called mate £2000 last year what are my chances of getting it back.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is he working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he claims all the bennifits that he can.
I have nothing in writing between us about the loan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was full of promises that he would not rip me off but i think he has.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Does he have any assets?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he has nothing in fact he sold or pawned a lot of stuff to pay off some debts he had at the time.Smokes like a chimney and lives with his brother and mother in a small rented bungalow.Full of promises that he would pay me back but nothing more fool me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.It depends what you want to achieve here really. You will get judgement against him fairly easily if you go to the Small Claims Court. That will be no difficulty as clearly he owes you money.The problem here is whether you will ever get the money. He does not sound like a defendant who is able to pay and has no assets to seize.It depends if you feel so strongly about this that you are prepared to sue and risk spending more money upon doing so that you will recover. It isn't expensive to sue but there is obviously some cost.Another alternative is to send him a letter before action but it sounds as though you have already done similar things.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I go about going to the small claims court.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
www.moneyclaim.gov.uk It is very easy to do. The form promts all the relevant answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help in this matter.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was going to take your advice and start a small claims case, so to get his post code i thought i would go and see him and let him know what i was about to do.When i went to his house it was empty he had done a flit. Well the names i called him you can imagine. Neighbours had no idea where he had gone so it looks like it is a lost cause.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You could try to trace him using a tracing agent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a tracing agent ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
A person who tries to locate missing defendants.