12826847

I have received a summons -payment of council tax although

Customer Question

I have received a summons for non-payment of council tax although for the period I was on Universal Credit and eligible for relief. Despite my writing several times throughout the year to the council they still have issued a warrant. My last letter; with proof of Universal Credit and filling in Form 35 etc. was sent recorded delivery and received, without answer on 17th December 2015. What course of action would be best to avoid a County Court Judgement as I feel I should not be liable for full council tax having been on UC from 20/11/2014 - 29/02/2016
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'd like to know my best course of action. I have proof of correspondence including delivery over the 12 month period I was on Universal Credit and ought to have been eligible for council tax relief but never received it despite applying several times.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I even paid monthly (£15) in the meantime as asked. I don't believe I owe this money as I was entitled to council tax relief at 100%
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If they have a warrant then surely they have a liability order already?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The summons is for a liability order. There is no warrant, merely a summons for said liability order request.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
WEre you the only person living there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I was. I tried several times throughout the year to get my entitled reduction but to no avail. I attach some docs that might or might not shed some light. I also have copies of all letter written throughout the year. I've attached the very last one, this and the penultimatre one went unanswered despite being sent 'signed for'. I don't expect you to read the letters I just hope it sheds a little light on my situation.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any savings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No savings.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
On the face of it, you would seem eligible for relief then. I'm not sure why they have either not dealt with this or rejected your application. I don't know whether they are saying that it covers the wrong periods or that they believe that you have savings? In any events, the only way to contest this is to attend court on the date that you summonsed and challenge your liability to pay. As with any other legal disputes, there can only really be a decision in court unless they are willing to agree. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo