75100385

I want to know whats the likelihood of suing if one person refers another person

Customer Question

hi, i want to know whats the likelihood of suing if one person refers another person for a job. my company is being sued by a customer which was dissatisfied with the work a person I recommended to do the job (not an employee of the firm) just someone I know, I had too much work to do it. he did a bad job and is now suing him, me and the architect. court order is in 2 months and has been going for 6 years. whats the possibility of my ltd company being sued if there is no contract and I have just recommended a person.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Did you have anything to do with the job whatsoever.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, my brother is an architect and he had this job, i did not have time to do the job due to my busy schedule, i did visit the woman in question to see what she wanted to do and told her then that I could not fit it in, I then offered a service of someone that I know which would be interested in doing it, then from that discussion when i met her I had nothing else to do with the work. Now she is suing me, the guy that did the job and my brother, my brother has signed a document last year but I cannot remember for what. i was offered but i did not sign due to my solicitors advice. I have not done anything on this job, I have met her once and suggested that the other guy could do the job.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I havepaid 56 pounds for this answer and I have only been given the response above, and nothing after. Are you planning on replying?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sorry when you keep posting it puts it back to the back of my question list.If you didnt have anything to do with the job then no, you can't be sued.If you only suggested someone then there is NO contract with you. If there is no contract then you have no liability.You didnt mess things up, so you cant have a claim against you.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so why am I being taken to court in July? Is she just using me as a way to get either my brother or the person that did the work?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes exactly. You cant stop someone from taking action, but whether they would be successful is another matter.I assume you filed a defence saying its nothing to do with you.The matter will be set down for a hearing and a Judge will hear the evidence.You could make an application to strike out the claim now, but that will cost you £255 to make that.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it has been going for almost 6 years, it has cost me a total of 10,000 in fees and I have been given an amount of how much she could potentially sue me for, is this normal?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Well each case is unique in litigation. But as for as much you could be sued for, yes this is not unusual.Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so just to clarify, the likelihood of me being sued by this woman is low due to no contract and only recommending another builder. there would be a greater chance of the other being sued than me.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Correct.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes thanks
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Great. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex