F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I am importing tattoo needles into the UK, they are part of

Customer Question

I am importing tattoo needles into the UK, they are part of a system whereby I also import the machine. The needles are labelled with sterile, but do not have individual lot numbers, item numbers or expiry dates. They are sold in boxes of 50 and have this information on the box. But I sell them individually. The machine has a CE certificate. I am also importing Tattoo Pigments. I have the sterilisation certificate, the safety data sheet and I am also registered on the EU cosmetic importation registers as the responsible person. Can you please tell me the law on packaging as now I have someone who is questioning the suitability of the products being sold in England and have threatened to contact trading standards.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
The regulations regarding packaging of cosmetics is extremely complicated. A cosmetic is defined as (amongst other things) something that is intended to change appearance. The pigment would come under that category.Here is some brief guidancehttp://www.ctpa.org.uk/content.aspx?pageid=306there is no legislation that I am aware of with regard to needles for tattooing.As this would be enforced by Trading Standards, my suggestion would be for you to contact them and ask them to look at your packaging and confirm that it complies with the relevant regulations. They will then do the work for you and you need to do is follow their guidance and you can then be absolutely sure that you are not doing anything that you should not be doing and that you are doing everything that you should be doing. I know from past experience that Trading Standards welcome being approached this way because it means that they avoid enforcement proceedings later on.Can I clarify anything for you?Please do not forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process which is the only way experts get credit.Best wishesFES
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi sorry that's not correct, needles are classified as medical devices and I have been told by another lawyer they now have to be marked with a expiry date, lot no, sterile and single use. Legislation is getting a nightmare in this country. However I had to go to another source for the answer so sorry I cannot rate yours as it was incorrect