75100385

UK LAW please. (Environmental) I live very close to a pub

UK LAW please. (Environmental)
I live very close to a pub in town, and for 3 months now, following a major refurb of the place, they have been running a large diesel electricity generator outside, on their patio area.
I called an environmental health officer from the council, who came to see it, and she says the noise level is acceptable and that the panels of Heras fencing around the generator is sufficient to deem it within an 'acoustic housing'. She was informed that the generator is temporary. However, there's still no sign of it going. It's possible it is used for the kitchen equipment, as there was some miscalculation with the kitchen refit.
It's likely that using the generator is cheaper than looking at other methods to correct their electrical problem.
The generator runs constantly daily, from about 10 am to about 23.30 - 00.20hrs.
Although our house is situated the other side of the pub, where the generator is sited, we hear the constant pounding low hum droning away - I hear it constantly throughout the house and in the garden. We turn up the TV volume in the evening, that helps, but the pounding hum is almost ultrasonic at times. I am getting headaches - it's droning through into my soul, I'm going mad. I have started to hear it in my head, even after it is switched off.
The Environmental Health officer said there is no law that can do anything about this, if someone needs electricity to be supplied.
Is there anything that could possibly help us?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Have you had your own noise monitoring equipment installed to see what the noise levels are?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick response.
No we havent; not sure how sensitive the equipment would be to picking it up - the actual sound is quite low, but it's the constant low 'drubbing' pounding sound that we hear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I have very sensitive hearing
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - you should get a specialist in for this. But sadly if the level is below what Environmental Health considers to be a nuisance then there is nothing you can do.This is because there are permitted levels of noise. What these are depends on each Local Authority, as you can imagine permitted noise in a city is higher than a small town.Therefore you should get a second opinion from your own expert. However if that expert also says its below permitted levels there is nothing you can do.I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think they would be allowed to keep this generator running permanently?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If its below permitted noise levels for the Local Authority then yes.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for making it clear for me Alex,
The advice is much appreciated
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that now - thanks very much for your help
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.