12826847

I have received a notice of intended court action - unpaid

Customer Question

I have received a notice of intended court action - unpaid parking charge
I had broken the rules, failure to show a permit, however:
1) I was parked in what was called a residents car park and I am a resident.
2) After many inquiries one person who works on the site finally admitted that said car park is not for residents but for staff therefore I feel like I have been mislead.
3) Parking my off site has lead it to have been vandalised on several occasions.
4) When trying to obtain the correct permit I was told by the university there wasn't one however I have recently discovered that that is incorrect, I can purchase a permit for 4 pounds per day or 28 pounds per month.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.What is it you want to achieve please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Alex,I am a full time student and I have accumulated a lot of parking tickets, I can't afford to go to court and pay 22 x £160. As i feel Ive been mislead and I have tried to resolve the issue with the uni and as Ive also expressed that I am more than willing to pay the rate of parking (£4 per day) an option that I wasn't even made aware of; I will happily pay the £4 a day for every ticket I have received.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
When did you get the first one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
February I think.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has taken up until last week to discover that I can pay for a permit. During that time the car has been broken down a few times and I had been trying to seek answers; in between bring to organise a a study year abroad, tests and and studies. The choice has been "do get a ticket but my car will be safe" or "do I park it half a mile up the road and risk it being vandalised again?" Neither has been a good option and as a result of my worrying, my grades have dropped and I have currently driven up to my parents home simply to revise for my exams, Im not even staying at accommodation that I have payed for.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
How come if you got 1 ticket you still parked there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Because I am a resident and parked in the residents car park (which I only now know is incorrectly named)
2) Because after parking off site, my car has been vandalised; rear drivers tyre slashed, tyres deflated, front drivers paned kicked in
3) Because the choice was "get a ticket until someone can inform me of how to pay for the parking and at least the car will be safe" or "park it off campus, away from where I live and learn, and risk even more damage to the car."
4) The car has been broken down on occasions and it was unsafe to move it. I am a qualified mechanic and have the tools, experience and qualifications to fix my own car. As a full time student, it is cheaper.The university was not forthcoming on how to pay for parking and I have only recently been given that information. Like I stated earlier, I am more than willing to pay the £4 per day parking (information that wasn't given to me when I enquired) charge but I am not willing to pay £160 per ticket as I actively tried to resolve the issue.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
When you became a resident does it say you need to apply for a permit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't.The signs say for permit holders only, and on arrival the security escorted my car to the "residents car park." Upon enquiring at the university I obtained a permit detailing that I could be parked at any time except the hours of 0800-1700. I accepted that pass as a short term solution, I enquired as to where I could get a permit for the hours of 0800-1700 and from there and since I have been pin balled from help desk to help desk with no one (until last week) giving me the information that I asked for. It was also last week that someone finally informed me that the "residents car park" is actually a staff car park and the term "residents car park" is used to describe the employees that work in residential services. I found this to be misleading.During that period I had been moving my car off the campus however the car was vandalised on numerous occasions and had broken down on numerous occasions.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Do they say you were 'entitled' to a permit?