F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I live in privately owned retirement flatone of residents

I live in privately owned retirement flat
one of residents are hoarding she has ocd with mental health issues
the management the council cant do anything and the place stinks
as a resident what rights do I have and what can be done
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
You have a claim against the management company for allowing the lady to cause nuisance which is a breach of the landlord and management companies covenant’s in the lease.You have a claim against the lady in common law nuisance.However unless you want to go to court, pursuing both of these is not going to be an option if neither the management company nor the lady are prepared to do anything about it.As there appears to be an obnoxious smell, it would be a matter for the Environmental Health Department at the council to deal with. You might want to call them and ask them to come and investigate. They may wish to refer the matter to social services if they think this lady is not capable of caring for herself.Can I clarify anything for you?Please do not forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process which is the only way experts get credit.Best wishesFES
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have tried everything
the council environmental people - their answer is she has to pay getting rid of stuff there is no way she will pay
the social services
the freeholders the management
why is it taking that long for them to do something