LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have been a tenant four years with a private landlord.

Customer Question

I have been a tenant for twenty four years with a private landlord. I am 71 and just lost my good lady 6 weeks ago, now my housing agent have told me over the phone the land lord want me out the house by august as they want too sell the house i.e. bungerlow. I am now in a bit of a worry,as I was having my wife put in the village church so I can visit her on a daily bases. how do I stand?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I wiil try to answer this for you. 24 years ago would make the start date of your tenancy 1992. The status of your tenancy will probably depend on whether you were served with a Section 20 notice at the outset of that tenancy. If not you will be an assured tenant with a great deal of security of tenure, If you were then you will probably be an assured shorthold tenant with very little. Do yo know if one was served. Is there a written tenancy agreement?