Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

I have a proprty got recently reroofing done . I changed

Hi i have a proprty got recently reroofing done . I changed them from slate to slate back but new slates are thinner then the old one . My neighbour has the old slate which is thicker plus my side roof has sank about 5-10 mm . Because of the different there is some gap between the slates where his and my slates are meeting . In this case he is asking me to come same level with the slate into my foor for 750 mm and give a gap there using material call lead . Which will look my roof narrow and ugly . Is it legal what he is demanding ? Can i just separate his roof from my on the party wall with lead or secreet gutter .
Please let me know my legal position in this situation .
Andrea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 750 cm not mm . Thanks
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
Why is he asking you to do this, is he alleging that there is a problem with water coming in??Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He think there will water come in but there was rain but no leak. I employed another roofer to make the joining point more even and gurantee no leak . But my neighbout got this idea that i have to come 750 mm in to my roof and then separate the gap with lead . Its safer according to him. Whis is not so good deal for me .
There is no regulated slate size or gap but we do owe a duty to our neighbours to ensure we do not cause them such a problem. As long as the roof does not leak, no problem.Michael