75100385

We have a shared wooden fence. It has overlapping slats on

We have a shared wooden fence. It has overlapping slats on my neighbour's side that let any paintwork on the fence from my side, run onto his side. I wish to paint my side of our shared ownership fence a different colour to his. He says any run of paint onto his side will result in a court case for criminal damage. I don't want to be forced to paint my side the same colour as his side.
What does the law say?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.The law says that you jointly own the fence. So you and he both own it.So technically then yes it could be damaging his side if paint runs, but I doubt it would be criminal damage.Criminal damage is without lawful excuse you damage something. You have a lawful excuse, you jointly own the fence.So its not criminal damage.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex