75100385

I am a tenant. Recently moved to the new house. I stayed

Customer Question

Hi! I am a tenant. Recently moved to the new house. I stayed in previous house for about 9 months and moved out about 1 month ago. I got a small company, I registered to the previous address when I was staying there. I am a doctor, this company is for my extra shifts in hospital, I have never done any business within the property. I did not notice the tenant contract initially,just found out I should have got permission from the landlord to register. Appearantly he spoke to the agency, asked me to pay around £600/month for the period when the company was registered to this address due to breech of tenancy aggreement,
It is a small company with annual income of around £10000before tax.
What should I do?
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Just to be clear the Landlord is asking for payment, notwithstanding you have moved out and never traded from the address?Alex
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He did not ask me the details. He just said I breeched the tenancy agreement. I told him I did not know. I texted him and told him that I never traded within his property, but he did not reply to my text message or phone call. Just got a phone call from the Previous letting agency that the land lord told them I need to pay £150/week for breaching aggreement.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My mobile number: ***********
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Calling now. Alex
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Alex! Thank you very much for your advice on the phone. Is it possible to write your response as well? I really appreciate your help! In the future discussion, we will have some record what have discussed today and what is the response. For future communication, it will be easier. Thank you!
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Yes. He can't claim something retrospective. He didnt know about it and can't penalise you now.He has suffered no loss.In any event the Landlord would have to show you had been actually trading. He cantAlex
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you very much for your quick response Alex!
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Happy to help. Alex
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Alex! I told the agency and the landlord that he can't claim or Penalize me retrospectively since I have not done any business and trade within his property and I did not cause any damage to his property. But still he kept saying I breeched the tenancy aggreement by registering the company address to his property without his permission when I was renting his property for 9 months. I told him I did not know about this tenancy aggreement term. He said he will take legal action unless I pay him 150/week for the period of 9 months I registered the company address to his property when I was renting there. He persisted, So I told him to write the basis of his claim in writing and send it to me.
Anything else should I do Alex?
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
No, you are good to go! Alex
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Alex! The landlord is very difficult. Seems like he is desperate to get some money out of me. He contacted me the other day after I informed the letting agency and told them what you told me. I explained to him, but he kept saying I breeched the aggreement, it is against law, He said I should pay the business rate what he requested.
He kept insisting to contact my solicitor, so I told him to write basis of his claim in writing and send it to me.
He caused me so much distress. I have never seen such a mean landlord.
Thank you Alex! You saved me.
Expert:  Ash replied 8 months ago.
Good luck! Alex