12826847

I'm renting a property that I signed with one agent and

Hello I'm renting a property that I signed with one agent and landlord changed agent in December I paid 6 month up front and paid on time there after I have had few problems with property since Dec I noticed a leek in kitchen and the washing machine leaked the leek was put right way after I told agent as landlord wanted to sort it but Lino was torn by his plumber and floor soaked under Lino still the same now and Easter weekend the oven broke I contacted landlord and he sent electrition out the fan had rusted out bad so no oven wasted food and had to eat out when asking landlord what to do he replied boil egg and he would sort the leek out when he could so electrition went on phone to him and the landlord said he order part then few days passed he said ordered new one I was without oven for 3 weeks still I paid full rent and cost of eating out daily now I handed a month notice in was excepted and written to with amount owe to 18th may which I paid and told to council dd at bank then sat 30th I'm sent letter saying the landlord just realised its years contract I have to pay full amount may and June yet I have in writing all ok for 18th may and house remarketed to let and iv changed address and bills everything to new address and removels booked and feel very upset I feel bullied buy there mistake yet the landlord didn't stick to the agreement as still kitchen not put to right and was without oven 3 weeks and I don't know what to do please help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
I'm really sorry but I'm struggling to understand your post?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
In short, you are renting a property with faults?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm renting it's had faults and want to move
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
When should your AST end?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I put a months notice in last month have in writing the amount to pay I have paid this and now they tell me I need to pay till 30th June as they realise now I had signed contract for 12 months with the last agent but I have the moving date and money due all in writing and they are making me pay for there mistake
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I pay more rent even though it's all arranged for keys to hand back and house handed back on 18th may and iv paid till then as agreed in wrighting from agent or now they want money to end June 6 weeks more money when I don't live there as off the 18th may I don't no wether to pay or what to do
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't afford the call as well
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
No problem. We can deal with it on here.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
What I need to know is when should your AST end?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
June 30th but was not aware
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
When did you give notice?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Until the agent sent through contract and tried to change everything in place I had checked by email and letter that all was ok for 18th may yes all was ok letter and email so I went ahead booked removels and changed bills paid change off address and packed ready to move next week and then yesterday I get letter saying no it's now 30th June
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
18th April
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
Ok. I presume they haven't replaced you with another?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not yet but it's on letting sight and trying to rent it since my notice they put to let bored up that day took photos and is on Internet for rent
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I'm not sure that I can really give you good news. Whichever way you look at this you are locked in to a contract until 30 June. If you seek to leave any earlier than that is a breach of contract as this is an AST. There is no way around that. However, the landlord is under a duty to try to mitigate his loss by seeking a replacement and he will not get forever to achieve that. Courts do generally expect landlords to be able to replace tenants within a month of notice and if they haven't done so then a court would want to see evidence that they have locks and they are not being unreasonable so for that reason it might well be that you do not end up actually paying until 30 June. In terms of the disrepair that you mention, that may give rise to a claim but it does not allow you to escape the entire contract. There would have been other remedies open to you. I'm very sorry if that is bad news but it is the position that you face and I have to give you truthful information. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If they are taking the keys back on 18th may then that means anyone can come in or move in and if let than my contract would end so shall I pay the rest of may and wate for my deposit returned then pay June with deposit if they have no new tenants in as I don't want to pay another month not live here they move another in and get rent from them and end up keeping my deposit a swell
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
OK. All the best.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I reported the problems yet no advise and iv always been home owner and renting is new to me and probably the best tenant could ask for pay on time do as told and house spotless
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
Yes, you mentioned that.That does not allow you to vacate early.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I agree to pay though I can still move on the 18th can't I as its all arranged now and keys handed back on 18th I would have moved out on this day so house empty it's only a month early but can't change all back its all in place now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
You can move out whenever you like.The question is whether or not you can avoid further liability from that date.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you very much for your help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
No problem and all the best. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
For jo c one more question if I move out on the 18th will I have to pay council tax for both property's until the 30th June as I won't be living in the old address iv tried council and finding it hard to change address as its a machine that is on the phone 2 and half hours I tried
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
Your council tax liability will as long as your liability for the property does.