13262538

This is an inheritance issue. My father-in-law inherited

Customer Question

This is an inheritance issue. My father-in-law inherited nothing from his parent's estate which is worth over 10 million. His elder brother inherited everything as that is the tradition in the family. Is this right? I had read this was not necessarily the case. He is an old man and I think he deserves a better standard of living. His nephew now lives in the manor house where my father-in-law grew up. He barely ever invites him round. My father-in-law is 89 and is the eldest member of the family and has to live in very basic accommodation. He has great grand-children but cannot host all his family at his cramped home. The cottage he lives in was owned by his elder brother (who got everything) and for many years my father-in-law even paid him rent! His elder brother died last year and he was not invited to the funeral but had to beg to come. His Nephew got most of the estate, following the family tradition but the tiny workers cottage where my father in law lives was given to all three of his elder brother's children in a strange break with tradition. I am sure he deserves more from his parents very sizable estate.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you very much for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first.Which part of the UK is he in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
West Sussex
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
When did his parents die?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 35-40 years ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Then I am very sorry but it is many years too late to challenge the Will.It is however true to say that had it happened now then your father in law would indeed have been able to challenge the WillSorry not to give better news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help again ClareKind Rgds,Joaquin Monfort
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome - sorry the news was not better