75100385

I need to know if a party in the UK feels I have slandered

I need to know if a party in the UK feels I have slandered his name with vitriol. Bear in mind he is an angry older man who gets a thrill from scaring people! I sent a letter to 10 people, all of whom are part of a will We thought that someone had mistakenly given our Aunt's artwork portfolio to a charity. We merely wanted to know how this came about. Who had given the permission? On behalf of the heirs, I sent the letter requesting information with regards ***** ***** matter.
I received a response pointing out the clause prior to the one I was referring to, stated that the executors have full discretion to do as they wish with the art. Once it was explained, I accepted the explanation.
I have now been threatened that he will charge me with spreading lies and vitriol about him. His name was NEVER mentioned anywhere. He sent me a 'Private & Confidential' letter with instructions from him what I needed to do. He wanted me to sign a letter of acknowledgement to all the crazy things he is accusing me of. He wants me to sign it in admission of my guilt!
Firstly, as I said, his name was not mentioned anywhere. I live in the USA and he is in the UK. I feel that I am being threatened by him. I will not sign this letter and I will not keep it confidential. I think he is just using scare tactics. How could a letter written by him, no lawyer etc, involved, be a legal document that I had better sign. How does the law there apply in this regard to a US citizen? Do I have to sign his threatening message?
Please advise.
Stephanie Ephron
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.Is he threatening to sue you in the UK or USA please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His words were that I have broken the law in the UK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what did I pay the $40 for?? You have not given me a single word of an answer. Begat did that $40 cover!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Meant to read: What did that $40 cover?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Its a one off fee but I need more information first.If you live in the USA then I would not worry. Defamation laws only apply in England and Wales. In any event he would have to show he has suffered 'serious harm' and even then issue proceedings in the High Court.UK Judgments are not generally recognised in the USA, so my view is that this is all hot air.I would just ignore everything.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex