12826847

I was issued a parking penalty by a local borough council.

I was issued a parking penalty by a local borough council. The basis of the penalty notice is that I was parked in the same place for over the stipulated period. I appealed against the penalty notice on the grounds that my car was parked in the spot at the two times stated in the penalty notice but during the intervening period I had driven to a restaurant. The restaurant can testify to the fact that I was present on the evening in question and my two grandchildren and my daughter can support my statement.
The letter turning down my appeal is tantamount to calling me a liar.
I shall continue to argue against the penalty notice, but do I have a case against the council for defamation?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
On what specific basis?In what way did they call you a liar?To whom?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In a letter to me: their letter states that the 'vehicle had not moved' - in spite of the fact that I had explained the events of the evening and cited the witnesses
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is not defamation I'm afraid.They have not said anything untrue or misleading about you sufficient to damage your reputation. The comments were made to you directly which does not cause damage to your reputation.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
In any event, they are entitled to dispute what you have said. That does not amount to an assertion that you are a liar by nature of your character.Sorry if that is bad news.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo