F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I am elderly and disabled. My neighbours came round with flowers

I am elderly and disabled. My neighbours came round with flowers and asked to erect scaffolding at the side of my house. It does not obstruct the path. However the work is going slowly, some days nothing,it looks like taking longer than a week. What can I do if they don't take it down. The neibour shave always wanted me to move.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
Did you initially consent for the scaffolding to be erected? What is the relevance of the flowers or were they just sweetener? How long has the scaffolding been in place? Have you asked for it to be removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes flowers were sweetener, yes I consented.One week, I have not asked yet for removal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I consented. One week ago. The flowers were a gift. I haven't asked for removal yet.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
If there was no time specified for the scaffolding to be in place, then the timescale must be reasonable. What is reasonable is a matter of fact. Depending on the work being done, then one week may be reasonable.My suggestion would be to speak to the neighbour and actually ask when it is going to be removed. Then, when you have that timescale from the neighbour, follow it up with a note.If it looks like it’s going to be therefore 2 weeks or for a much longer period of time, you can ask them to remove it. If they don’t remove it, you can apply to court for an injunction to make them remove it and you can ask the court to award the application costs for the injunction against them.Can I clarify anything for you?Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process which is the only way that experts get credit.Best wishes.FES