31090051

I'm looking to start a small podcast in which I will, among

Customer Question

I'm looking to start a small podcast in which I will, among other things, review music.
What are the rules for using small excerpts of music on a podcast in order to critique or review it?
I understand that the safest bet is to ask for permission to even play just 20-30 seconds of a song, but I assume getting large labels to respond to such a request would be very low. Are there any valid defences (e.g. the US "fair use" policy) or generally accepted market practices?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. I am a lawyer with a particular interest in music royalties. The correct way of going about this is to go onto the PRS for music website and download the application form for a podcast licence. You can get this from about £50 a quarter from recollection and that will fully cover you for your project. Best wishes with it. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.